The ancestors of today's population took over the northeast part of the island and named it after the bay they settled on. The oldest Croatian name Tishno can be found in drawings dating back to 1567 which are now displayed at Šibenik museum.
The name changed throughout the history. First name was Tisno (Italian - Stretto) at the time of Austro-Hungarian Empire during census conduction and production of topographic maps, when Italian was one of the official languages. Later, when Croatia was part of the ex Yugoslav countries, name of the place was Tijesno. Although the orthography at that time had a special rule on dialect pronunciation, Tisno still remained Tijesno. Many years later, after the declaration of Croatian independence, Tijesno was once again renamed to Tisno.
Island Murter was inhabited in the middle Ages and had at least two settlements. At the time of increasingly frequent Turkish robberies in second half of 15th century, Venetian government decided to somehow deny access to the island. In order to defend Murter, decision was to build defensive towers and walls, naturally at the point where the island was closer to the mainland. Funds were secured in 1474 and fortress was built a year later, in 1475. Historical documents state that at this point the channel could almost be walked over.
Defensive wall most certainly helped people to find a shelter from Turks. It is not possible to determine the exact date of emigration because the whole process took years. What is possible is that the area of today's settlement was used as a getaway from Turks. When robbers withdrew, people moved back to their homes in Oštrica, Ivinj and Dazlina. However, due to frequent Turk invasions, people moved permanently to the island side. A large number of new populations moved in the first half of 16th century. According to historical sources, Turks crashed and burned St. Martin's church in Ivinj, so emigrated people built church of St. Spirit in Tisno in 1548.
One of the remaining drawings from 1567 shows territory of Tisno ('Kraj in Tishno') and presents special architecture from that time; a church that is a single unit construction and has narthex and apse above the altar. At that time, new immigrants began to build houses. The same drawing also shows a few small houses with roofs made of straw. Soon enough, the settlement became a characteristic island village with stone houses and other architect details similar to neighbouring islands.
Special location on map gave this place a greater meaning as well as some advantages compared to other settlements. Italian immigrants started to inhabit Tisno at the end of the 17th century and early beginning of the 18th century. At that time, progress of the settlement was more than obvious. Number of population increased when people decided to expand the village by building more stone houses and churches. Family Gelpi and family Banchetti contributed by building characteristic Dalmatian baroque houses. In the 19th century, the house that was built for municipal government had a distinct architectural quality. (Source: MSc Josip Ćuzela, www.tisno.hr)