Tisno Bridge now and then
The shrine of Our Lady of Karavaj
Veneration of Our Lady of Karavaj began in Italy in 1432 on May 26th in town Caravaggio near Bergamo when apparition occurred. Woman called Ivanica saw Our Lady. During 17th and 18th century many Italian families moved from Bergamo to Tisno. Among them was family Gelpi who brought a picture of Our Lady. They built a small chapel on hill Brošćica in 1720 and owned the chapel for more than 250 years when they decided to hand it over to the local district along with its terrain and votive gifts. The picture is still there with the sign: 'Much appreciated image with miracles of Blessed Virgin Mary of Caravaggio and her appearance on May 26th 1432 when she brought the light of mercy'. On the same date every year Tisno celebrates The Feast of Our Lady of Karavaj by organising pilgrim's journey.
Church of the Holy Spirit
Church of the Holy Spirit is the oldest. It was built in 1548 and renovated in the baroque style in 1640. The beautiful bell tower was built in 1680 by the local craftsmen. At the main altar of Holy Spirit, sanctified in 1548, stands an early gothic statue of Virgin Mary with child. This statue is unique in Europe because it is covered with silver and gold. Due to its value, it is often displayed at different exhibitions around the world. Church also has three scripted tombs. The bell tower, according to Tisno rectory had to have five floors and a cupola and had to be 52 meters high. At first, it was built 31 m high with wide pyramid shaped cupola and by the time it was finished, it was a four corner pilaster.
Archaeological site at the church of Saint Martin – Ivinj area
Archaeological excavations revealed the walls of villa complex dating back to the 2nd and 3rd century. Furthermore, remaining of basilica from the 5th century, altar, early Christian baptistery and 900 tombs from the 15th century have been found. Archaeologists are still searching this area for a cemetery.
During 18th century wealthy families from Italy moved to Tisno and adapted well. Eleven villas remain from that time; a house of Gelpi family (18th century), house of Banchetti family (18th century), house of Kaleb family (19th century), villa Mazzura (19th century), palace Katunarić (administration of Tisno borough). Local pharmacy is located in villa Meštrov and the medical facility was later built in villa's garden. The garden has been transformed into a beautiful baroque park where you can sit, relax and enjoy comfortable surroundings.
Saint Andrew and Saint Rocco
St. Rocco's church (13m×8.6m) is located on the coast of Tisno called Rat and it was built around 1651. The belfry's form is typical for this era. The main altar used to have a picture of Our Lady with St. Anthony of Padua and St. Theresa. On the main altar's right side used to be an altar of Our Lady of the Rosary. There are two votive days; first votive day is celebrated on January 1st; second votive day is at January 27th and celebrates extermination of plague (1691). Plague again appeared at August 8th and killed 688 people.
St. Andrew's church (10m×6.3m) was built at 1606. It is located on the hill in the southern part of the island. Altar has an image of the saint signed by Ant Alborghetti Dilettante dating back to 1878. Possessions of this church were taken by French government in 1809. Church has been completely renovated.